The 2012 QTHA annual conference aims to initiate dialogue between industry, government and the research community, with the longer term aim to formulate win-win solutions to ensure healthy local communities and a healthy workforce for industry across Queensland.
The program includes an outstanding mix of quality international and Australian speakers and will conclude with satellite special interest meetings on the last day. We are planning presentations and sessions around tropical health research, making research relevant, connecting research and industry, and vaccine and drug development. There will be two outreach events, an industry breakfast and a public lecture on Tuesday 18th.
Speakers & Themes
Opening address Mr Dale Shuttleworth MP, Member for Ferny Grove
The State of Tropical Health Research
- Professor Louis Schofield, Director QTHA
- Carl Feldbaum, Chair of the Board of BIO Ventures for Global Health, U.S.A. "Venture capital"
- Professor Graeme Hugo, Director Australian Population and Migration Research Centre, University of Adelaide "Demographic trends and implications for (tropical) health and research"
- Professor Daniel Gschwind, CEO, Queensland Tourism Industry Council "Health and Tourism - Travel numbers and future risk"
- Dr Eliana Jimenez-Soto, School of Population Health, University of Queensland, "Lessons learnt and future plans in trying to identify the investment gap for MDG 6"
- Professor Marshall Lightowlers, Professor of Veterinary Science, University of Melbourne, "One Health - research perspective"
Making Research Relevant
- Professor Robin Mortimer, AO, Executive Director, Office of Health and Medical Research, Queensland Health
- Mario Pennisi, Life Sciences Queensland
- Geoff Scahill, JTA International, "PPP achieving positive health results in North Fly District Western Province - an analysis of the North Fly Health program that commenced in 2009."
- Professor Maxine Whittaker, Professor of International and Tropical Health, Director of the Australian Centre for International and Tropical Health, Executive Director PacMISC and Co-Coordinator of APMEN Secretariat "Population Health - Role of applied health services research in intensified malaria control and elimination agenda"
- Professor Michael Good, AO, Institute for Glycomics, Griffith University, "Rheumatic Fever: lessons learned in moving to the point of a Phase I vaccine trial."
- Professor Brian Kay, AM, QIMR, "Dengue - Risk and solutions"
Connecting Research and Industry
- Professor Ron Quinn, AM, Director, Eskitis Institute, Griffith University "Exploring natural products as potential drugs - with AstraZeneca"
- Dr.Maria E. Bottazzi, Associate Dean and Professor of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine; Vice Chair of Administration, Sabin Vaccine Institute "Product/vaccine development and the opportunities and pitfalls"
- Professor Ian Frazer, AC, CEO and Director of Research, Translational Research Institute, Brisbane, Australia "Gardasil-from research to industry"
- Professor Andreas Suhrbier, QIMR "Commercial Biotech translation in Australia: hurdles and successes"
- Dr Gary Krieger, Principal, Newfields "Mining - tropical health solutions to support mining"
- Professor Peter Gray, FTSE, Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering
- Dr Chris Nave, Principal Executive, Medical Research Commercialisation Fund "Views from venture capital"
- Dr Phil Kearney, Director, Licensing & External Research, Merck Sharp & Dohme "Discoveries and Partnerships in the Tropics, Implications of Changing Market Needs for Pharma panel discussion"
- Dr Dan Grant Head of Strategic Alliances for Pfizer in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Malaysia "Discoveries and Partnerships in the Tropics, Implications of Changing Market Needs for Pharma panel discussion"
- Professor Mark Kendall, Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology "Discoveries and Partnerships in the Tropics, Implications of Changing Market Needs for Pharma panel discussion"
Facilitating Connections between Research and Industry
- Dr Edie Dullaghan, Head, Target Validation, Centre for Drug Research and Development (CDRD), Vancouver, Canada "Enabling the discoveries of academic researchers"
- Professor Ian Wronski, Pro Vice Chancellor, Faculty of Medicine, Health & Molecular Sciences, JCU "Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine - JCU"
- Professor Frank Gannon, Director, QIMR "Developing broader collaborations to accelerate medical research, building, new directions"
- Dr Graham Mitchell, AO, Principal of Foursight
Industry Breakfast 7-9am, Tuesday 18th September ""Politics Today in the USA-Where it Leads" Carl Feldbaum, Chair of the Board of BIO Ventures for Global Health (speaking 7.00 - 7.30 am)
"What you catch in a changed world - myths and realities" Public Lecture - free event held in conjunction with QIMR, 6-8pm, Tuesday 18th September, speakers Dr Tim Hurst QIMR, Professor Andreas Suhrbier, QIMR, Professor Peter O'Donoghue (UQ), convened by Dr Graham Mitchell, AO.